Thursday, May 26, 2005

My Monologue

I wrote my own monologue for the end-of-the-year exam in Drama class. I have no idea why I wrote it, just that I was hyped up on Shakespeare after having to memorize the first twenty lines of Hamlet's "to be, or not to be..." soliloquy. The first thing I inferred from it was that it was a moment in time, an instant in which a man realizes that his great leap in life was only the first stepping stone, and he resolves to continue his journey forever and ever. I showed it to my Drama teacher right after I wrote it, and he told me no one would understand it. I didn't even understand it; I knew what it was about, but I also felt a deeper truth lying beneath the words, just out of reach. Last night, I realized what that truth was.

How can I write something and not even know why I'm writing it, or what it is really about? Does my subconscious have such great understanding of the world that my conscious mind can't keep up?

I guess I ask a lot of questions. That's life, right? And now, a quote in honor of Mr. Frantz. I may not see him much after graduation, but he'll always live on through Faulkner.

"All of us failed to match our dreams of perfection.
So I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure
To do the impossible." ~William Faulkner

No comments: