Monday, June 27, 2005

My Writing


I used to play guitar (as you can see). A real guitar, too, not just a tennis racket. I wrote before that, then started playing and taking lessons from a friend of a friend. After a while, I became bored and stopped getting better (my hands are small, so my reach was pathetic and painful), so I stopped. After that, I started writing again.

That was about a year ago. At the time, I figured that I stopped playing guitar because there were so many kids my age and younger around me who could play pretty much any song, and who had been performing for live audiences for years (a couple even had CDs made). So, is the only reason I write because there isn't anyone around me who is ten times better? Maybe if I was friends with Michael Collins or something, I would feel like crap about my own writing, and I would stop. Or would I want to work harder to get closer to his level? It unsettles me to know that it would probably be the former. What will happen when I start college, and I begin working in the journalism program? If there are writers there who are better and more experienced than I am, then will I stop writing? How am I ever going to have a career if I keep becoming intimidated like that?

And yet, this pleases me, because I've found something to work on about myself. Maybe this will help: I promise to never completely stop writing for any reason. We'll have to see what the future brings.

No comments: